Monday, June 24, 2013

Recipe: Good old Scones!


What you'll need:
- 3 cups of plain flour
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 75 grams butter
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- extra milk for glazing

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius
Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
Cut butter in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. 
(I recommend microwaving for 10 seconds to soften it a little.)
Add 1 cup milk and mix quickly with a knife to a soft dough, adding more milk if needed.
Knead a few times.
Lightly dust an oven tray with flour.
Press scone mix out on floured bench or tray, cut into 12 even-sized pieces.
Place on oven tray, brush tops with milk and place in top half of oven to bake.
Bake scones for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Once golden brown with crisp crusts, remove from oven and allow to cool.
Or eat warm with jam and cream. YUM!

This scone recipe is an Edmonds one, a New Zealand staple recipe book. This was actually the first time I made these (by myself) and they are foolproof! I did make the dough a little too tall, I should've rolled it out more, however this means more scone! Way better right!? 

Let me know if you try these out and some of your favourite scone variations! I personally love a good plain scone with jam and cream but am open to suggestions!

Breanne
xx

P.S. Also, I was going to take a photo with jam and cream but I got a bit carried away and ate it!

3 comments:

  1. Great recipe! I've never made scones but I'll give it a try :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious!! I am making this recipe for sure!! Just found your blog and love it!! New follower :)
    xx
    daniella
    simplybeautifulelegant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete